Thousands of people suffer unnecessary dental injuries because they don’t wear mouthguards
According to the Australian Dental Association only 36% of children use a sports mouthguard. This is a shocking statistic given how important wearing a mouthguard is for general health. And it is important to remember that a sports mouthguard does more than protect your teeth.
There are in fact 5 reasons why a mouthguard is good for:
- Cushions teeth against impact
- Protects against jaw joint injuries
- Protects against soft tissue injuries
- Helps prevent neck and jaw injuries
- May help reduce concussion
The most effective mouthguard option
You have two options for mouthguards: over-the-counter or custom-fitted. The issue with over-the-counter mouthguards is they don’t fit snuggly on your teeth. Generally, this type of mouthguard requires you to put it in hot water and then mould it to your teeth. Which is a problem because—according to the ADA—it lessens the effectiveness of the mouthguard. What this means is there’s a good chance, even while wearing an over-the-counter mouthguard, that you are risking damaging your teeth.
A custom-fitted mouthguard
A custom-fitted mouthguard, made by your dentist, can provide the best fit for your teeth. The advantage of a custom-made mouthguard includes:
- Speak clearly
- Won’t shift of fall out
- Won’t restrict your breathing
Don’t wait for dental injury, visit Redlands Gentle Dental care today to get your custom-made mouthguard.
Taking care of your mouthguard
Your mouthguard, if looked after properly, can last between 6 to 12 months. Six ways to take care of your mouthguard include:
- Rinse in cold water after use
- Store in its container
- Keep of our sunlight—extreme temperatures can cause your mouthguard to warp.
- Every now and then use mouthwash
- Bring your mouthguard to the dentist on your regular check-ups
- Replace your mouthguard if it becomes damaged.
Looking after your sports mouthguard is a necessary part of ensuring long-term effectiveness. Keeping it out of the sun and storing in its container will help it to keep its shape. Also, keep it away from your animals. You know that joke about your dog? It will eat your sports mouthguard if left unguarded.